Friday, July 13, 2007

Decks in and Epoxy on

I finally got all the new plywood installed for my deck. Working on my old plywood Owens has been a lot easier than working on an old lapstrake hulled boat would have been. The decks are now solid all the way around, and there is a coat of epoxy over the top of that. I may get another coat of epoxy on today, and after that I will paint the whole deck white. Between waiting for the caulk to dry and waiting for the epoxy to set I got the back rail risers rebuilt and in. The last two things carpentry/constructionwise that need doing are putting in windows, and replacing the molding all the way around the outside upper edge of the hull just beneath the gunwhales. Oh yeah, I also have to find somebody to help me lift the roof into place after I get a couple more coats of paint on it.

Then the big worry will be getting the motor to run. Once I get those three things done she could go in the water, although ideally I should get the bungs back in the gunwhales and all that wood sanded and finished to the right color first. Once she's in the water I just plan to build up a strong oil finish over time on all the brightwork, and to fool around inside the cabin trying to make it feel like home. If I had the money all this could be easily finished before my July 31st move in deadline, but since I was asked to resign from my job due to unfortunate personal animosities and some misunderstandings intentionally inspired by some underhanded backstabbing coworkers funding this last stage may be a little problem. Oh well life goes on, and it was a low paying job anyway. I don't have any new pictures today, but I'm going to work on her right now, and I will take my camera.

No comments: