Sunday, July 1, 2007

2 Coats of Primer On




After a little hunting and turning down some insane paint salesmen's suggestions I found some white primer I could afford. I painted 2 coats onto the plywood hull of my Owens which had already been sanded for surface preparation. It might not be the ideal marine primer, but I think it should hold up fairly well, and actually appears to be very much like what was on her for texture and feel. I got some funny looks, because it is actally a latex paint which is water based, but once the water evaporates the latex bonds into a plastic envelope. The only real worry with going this way is adhesion to the old surface, because the oil paint I am putting over the top is frequently painted over latex with no problems. It said "oil fortified universal primer" on the can. Maybe I'll regret it, maybe it will be the best thing I did on the whole project, time will tell, and I'll try to do an update six months after I get her back in the water. I brushed the old surface free of dirt before the first application, and hand sanded between coats, and will hand sand again before putting the green back on. Her are a couple pictures of her primed out. Blogging about it, just like doing it, I forgot about cutting the air vent back in. I just grabbed the circular saw, and whacked it out from the outside and then cleaned up the corners with a chisel from the inside. Then I put the rail back on the starboard side (I think this all happened between the first and second coat of primer). Naturally, it was about an eight of an inch too small, and I had to trim it some after I thought I was finished. Here's a picture of that too.

No comments: