Saturday, May 26, 2007

Still not down here.

The Owens is still not here. It's about 3 hours north of Yorktown (where I live now) to where she is. She weighs 5800 lbs, and isn't on a trailer. Getting her moved is proving to be quite a project. Looks like it's going to cost about $950, although I've got feelers out to try and get it done for less. Luckily, I have a sale I was starting to think I would never close bringing me in about 2 grand. That should be enough to get the boat down here, and take care of dry dock, supplies, and leave a little left over for beer to coax friends into coming over to sand and paint. As soon as I get her up on blocks I'm going to take some before pictures to post here, and you can check back every once in awhile to see how it is progressing. This is a classic 1963 28ft motor yacht, single inboard, Honduras mahogany frame, and plywood hull. She's got great bones, but she's been out of the water for about 3 years, and the cover didn't cover one corner of the stern, so there's rot in that one spot, but it can be stopped and rebuilt fairly easily. I'm going to spend all my free time for the next couple of months giving her some badly needed TLC.

No comments: